9.17.2006

infinity and beyond.

Nineteenth-century American astronomer Maria Mitchell once said,

“We have a hunger of the mind, which asks for knowledge of all around us, and the more we gain, the more is our desire; the more we see, the more we are capable of seeing.”

There is such beauty in learning.


That said, I don't want to write this frigging paper about a chapter in my Wagner book. I mean, really. Here's what I vote my response should be: Yes, I read it. It was oppressively long and encumbered with needless details. My mind is supersaturated, and I've lost my will to live, but I am, in fact, capable of class discussion. The end.

ps--
The opera is "Gianni Schicchi" by Puccini. Check it out. And, if you're free on the first weekend of December, take a little drive to come see the show--it's free! (not to mention a delight.)

2 comments:

E&M said...

Friend! Gianni Schicchi!!! YAY! (I'm partial, I know...) What part are you playing? That opera is so ridiculously wonderfully fun it should probably be illegal. Character development like you wouldn't believe.

I was Marco. I am Marco. I forever shall be Marco! Okay, maybe not...

Oh, and here's your paper on Wagner, broken down into an equation:

Wagner = Crazy + Anti-Semite + Wooden Opera House + / Floppy Hat + Mutton Chops

(I wanted to add my vocal representation of the Tristan Chord... "Nee-nee-nee-BHUUUUUHNNNN", but I restrained myself.)

greensing said...

hahhhhahahha what a fantastic comment. i'm playing Ciesca, who i believe was Marco's wife.......ooh la la. i haven't had ANY time to listen to it or look at it or anything, so i'm pretty much clueless.