9.25.2007

hon·est
adjective
1.honorable in principles, intentions, and actions; upright
and fair
2.showing uprightness and fairness
3 genuine or unadulterated
4.
respectable; having a good reputation
5.truthful or creditable
6.humble

honesty
noun
1.
the quality of being honest
2. southeastern European plant cultivated for its fragrant purplish
flowers and round flat papery silver-white seedpods that are used
for indoor decoration

c.1330, from O.Fr. honesté, from L. honestatem (nom. honestas)
"honor, honesty," from honestus (see honest). In Eng., the word
originally had more to do with honor.


I don't think that I have ever understood and/or appreciated the profound
value of honesty as I have this past week. (And I'm not talking about the
purple flower with the silvery seedpods, just so we're clear). I realize that
honesty is not limited to telling the truth--it goes much deeper than that.
One must actually defy the fear of vulnerability,including rejection, judgment,
or pain. If I think about it, it is from the moments of extreme vulnerability
that I have learned the most about life and my character. I am a certified
control-freak, wanting also to plan ahead for every situation, often putting
the contentedness of others ahead of my own, if need be, in order to make
the situation better. The thought of disrupting this equilibrium is literally
terrifying to me. I analyze it from every possible angle, working out possible
avenues of fulfillment with their subsequent results. Like clockwork, I try
and try and try to figure it out until, as always, the answer becomes as clear
as day: be honest. It's as simple and as difficult as that.

It reminds me of a rather gaff wall hanging that has been gathering dust in
my parents' kitchen since before the dawn of creation: "It takes both the
sun and rain to make a rainbow."

What is remarkable, however, is when communication reaches a new level
at which both people are truly genuine and undisguised in their interactions
with one another. I forgot how beautiful that is. I'm rather overwhelmed
by it if I think about it too much. It happens so rarely, even among the
closest relationships. This experience is a welcome blessing after a storm.


No comments: