
he shaved the faces of gentlemen
who never thereafter were heard of again...

he trod a path that few have trod,
did Sweeney, did Sweeney Todd,
the Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
My roommates and I drove up to NYC after work on Tuesday as a way-belated birthday celebration for yours truly. We tried to get lottery tickets for Wicked or 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, but we had some rotten luck. Everything turned out fabulously, though, because student tickets for Sweeney Todd were pretty cheap, and we actually got seats together. What a great show. It was so funny--especially when Patti LuPone started playing the tuba (I nearly lost it). The cast was incredible, and they played the instruments right on stage. And I wanted to marry Sweeney's voice. I hadn't seen anything on Broadway since Theatre & Theology senior year (I wonder what Dr. Dixon would have said about Sweeney!). It was so good to be back on the Great White Way. Plus, we ate a fantastic dinner at this hidden Italian trattoria. It was underground next door to the theatre, and the walls inside were painted with scenes from Italy. That plus penne alla vodka, cappuccino, and cannoli for dessert = buonissima.

4 comments:
Sweeney Todd is my favorite show on B-Way. So glad you got to see it. So glad you finally drove into the city... long after I moved.
But on the bright side, Mary's done ascending, so I like you again.
yeah, well i didn't drive in, my roommate did :) it was so fantastic. made me want to be in a show again, of course.
by the way, it was the assumption, not the ascension. if you're going to hate mary via me, at least get the terms right! haha
i saw it this summer and it was so completely amazing. Glad you loved it. I listen to the soundtrack all the time and feel creepy.
yeah, we just ordered it...we keep singing "I feeeeeeeel you, joaaaaaanaaaaaaaa"
Post a Comment